How to Hire Employees for My Small Business
As a small business owner, you must be nimble when hiring employees. You certainly want the right person for the job, but you may want this person sooner rather than later. Unlike large corporations, small businesses don’t have the layers that can pick up the slack if someone leaves or if business picks up quickly.
While you want a person who has the skills and qualifications, there are other qualities that are just as important. If a job skill can be taught, then these other qualities become even more important.
5 Qualities You Want in New Employees
- Ambition – This person knows what they want to do and where they want to go in their career and in life. They can clearly tell you how their past experience matches the duties for the current position. An ambitious employee may be on the lookout for ways to improve productivity, processes and profitability, as well as advancement in your company. You want this person on your team.
- Adaptable – As the old saying goes, “The only constant is change.” This is especially true for small businesses. Small businesses have more of an opportunity to be agile; quickly making changes when business requires it. In order to do that, your employees need to be willing to change as well. When you hear, “This is the way we’ve always done it,” you know you will have a challenge. Hire people who are adaptable and may even look for a better way to do something.
- Cooperative – Small business owners should look for employees that will fit the company’s culture and be a team player. While you want people who are independent thinkers, you also want them to work well with others and help the group as a whole flourish.
- Passion – What does this person love to do, personally and professionally? Are they passionate about it? You can tell a lot about someone based on how they respond to you. Are they just ‘getting by’ or are they excited about what they are doing?
- Inquisitive – Based on the questions they ask you, you can tell if they took the time to research your company before the interview. But are they really listening to you or are they simply biding their time to give you their answers? You want a person who really listens and responds, or asks thoughtful questions based on your conversation.
Knowing how to find the right people for the job will help your business continue down a path of success. If you can hire new employees who demonstrate the right attitude and willingness to participate in your business, then they can provide support right in the field, while Pet Butler’s support system provides the back-end resources.
Pet Butler Helps Its Franchise Owners in All Aspects of Business
Use these tips to hire the right help you need, so your business can keep up with demand. The Pet Butler franchise system provides teams of experts in various areas to help their franchise owners to keep you up to date in the competitive pet industry. This includes a dedicated business consultant as well as experts in marketing, back-office support, and more. Having a dedicated business consultant provides guidance and structure to Pet Butler franchise owners’ businesses. The Pet Butler franchise system has ample data to share with our Franchise Owners so they know what others have done and the most advantageous path forward. Franchise owners can also gather best practices from other franchise owners.
In fact, franchise owners have peer-to-peer meetings where they’re able to share experiences they’ve had. According to Janet Dailey, Pet Butler franchise owner in Phoenix, Arizona, “We gain a lot of the knowledge and experience from the other franchises.” According to Coby Hough, Pet Butler franchise owner in Silver Springs, Maryland, “We share the same problems, so we can talk about them and figure out the solutions together.”
Whether you want to switch your independent business to a franchise system or you are looking for a new turn-key franchise opportunity with the resources and support to help you be successful, Pet Butler may be the perfect fit for you. Learn more about Pet Butler by calling 844-777-8608 or visit us at https://www.petbutler.com/franchise-opportunity/.