5 Tips to Improve Work Life Balance
Finding the right balance between work and the rest of life can seem like a daunting task. It has become even more challenging as technology has advanced. Between smartphones, tablets and laptops, most of us can do our jobs from anywhere, anytime.
That option may sound good when you want to work from home, but where do you draw the line? When do you stop checking emails and texts? If your job doesn’t necessarily have a specific ‘location,’ when do you say ‘enough?’
When it comes to work-life balance, you need to put some thought into what that should look like. Work life balance will vary from person to person depending on their priorities.
Improving Your Work Life Balance
1. Determine where you are now and where you want to be. Without looking at each area of your life right now, you won’t really know if it makes you happy. Consider the following areas:
- Significant other/romance
- Health and fitness
- Home life
What areas are most important to you? Are you more or less happy in those areas? Rate them on a scale from 1 to 10 both for importance and happiness. In the areas that are more important to you, but need improvement, what can you change to make yourself happier in that area?
2. Unplug and be present. Whether you are at work, out to dinner, or relaxing at home, you need to unplug periodically.
You can be distracted at work by the constant *ding* of smartphone notifications and incoming emails. When you are working on a project, close your email program and mute your phone. Focus on the task at hand, get it done, then move on. Block your time appropriately to reduce distractions. If you are more efficient and productive at work, you may also be more satisfied with that area of your life.
Distractions are also present in your personal life. Do you go out to eat with family or friends and have your phone on the table? Unless there is something critical (for instance, a sick child or parent), mute your phone. Be present with the group around you. You will find that the more you unplug, the more satisfied you will be in that part of your life.
3. Take time for self-care. Self-care may include whatever you need to refresh your mind, body and spirit. You may exercise, go to a spa, meditate, take yoga, participate in your favorite hobby, or attend a church service. These activities don’t have to take a lot of time or expense, but the payoff for you can be huge.
Even when you are at work, take a few minutes to walk around and stretch your legs throughout the day. Make sure to take time to have lunch. Even if you don’t eat, you can take a walk, listen to a podcast, meditate or relax. You will come back to finish the day energized and ready to go instead of tired and drained.
4. Limit activities and people who do not make you happy. The caveat here is that there will always be things that we have to do, but they do not necessarily make us happy. That is part of life. However, for the things you can control, focus on the ones that make you happy.
Do you dread cleaning your house? See if your budget allows you to hire a service to clean it for you. Or get the rest of your family involved in the process and spread the tasks out among everyone. Don’t want to clean up your dog’s poop? This is where hiring a professional pooper scooper like Pet Butler can come in handy.
5. Start small. You won’t be able to change everything overnight and you shouldn’t try. However, you can make small changes that, over time, will add up to make a big difference. Remember to focus first on the areas that are most important to you. Then work on other areas of your life until you find the right balance that makes you the happiest.
Pet Butler Provides Business Support
At Pet Butler, we want our Franchise Owners to have a great work life balance. That’s why we provide them with the marketing, business and back-office support to help them be successful without having to spend all of their time working in their business.
Whether you want to switch your independent business to a franchise system or you are looking for a new turn-key franchise opportunity with the resources and support to help you be successful and provide you with the work life balance you want, Pet Butler may be the perfect fit for you. Learn more about Pet Butler by calling 844-777-8608 or visit us at www.growmypetindustrybusiness.com.